Mission Red Quinoa and Chia Wraps and a Tempeh Stir Fry

, , No Comments
This post is brought to you by Nuffnang and Mission Foods

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always had an aversion to sandwiches for lunch. They were so boring, usually went soggy because mum put tomato in them, and the biggest problem was probably that we never got nice bread, it was always the super processed stuff from the supermarket. All through primary school and high school I was always the daggy kid that brought her lunch in a container. Even when I didn’t have access to a microwave, I was much happier eating cold rice and curry than a soggy, squashed sandwich.

Fast forward a decade or two (jeez it has been a long time since I was at school), and my lunch world has changed. I still love leftover rice and curry, but there are so many other options that are available now.

I was recently sent some Mission Red Quinoa, and Chia wraps. Both quinoa and chia seeds have recently become very popular superfoods, and whilst I am usually skeptical of supposed health food fads, these grains really are quite good for you! Both grains originated in Central and South America and are integral to the diet there. Chia and quinoa clearly worked for the Aztecs and Incas because they did some pretty amazing things, namely Chichen Itza and Machu Picchu.

The Mission wraps take all the goodness of these superfoods and present them in a convenient wrap form. To me, usually wraps mean an extremely processed form of food, but these Mission wraps are all natural and contain no artificial colours or flavours. They are also a great source of fibre, omega 3 fats, calcium and protein, but most importantly they are soft and taste great.


What I like best about the wraps was the resealable pack. Make sure you don’t open them at the top, there is actually a sticky panel down the side that you can peel open, and then restick if you don’t need the whole pack. Brilliant!

I decided to try a couple of things with the wraps that would make delicious brunch or lunch recipes.

Firstly I made a brunch burrito. I am lucky enough to regularly receive some super free range duck eggs, and these eggs are amazing. The yolks are golden and so rich, and when scrambled they are simply delicious. I made some of these scrambled eggs, added some grated tasty cheese and some baby spinach. Dressed with some chipotle aioli, this made a perfect brunch burrito. Soft wraps, creamy eggs and oozey cheese make me very happy.


I also decided to make a tempeh stirfry to fill the wraps with for lunch. I had some tempeh in the freezer, and having never cooked with tempeh before, I decided that this was a good way to try and use it.

Tempeh Stirfry in Red Quinoa Wraps

Ingredients:

200g frozen tempeh (you can use the plain or flavoured varieties), thawed and chopped into small cubes
2 carrots, julienned
1 capsicum, cut into thin strips
1/2 large eggplant, cut into small pieces
¼ bunch spring onion, chopped
Small knob ginger, chopped finely or grated
1 tbs soya sauce
1 tbs tomato sauce
8 Mission Red Quinoa Wraps

Method:

1.    Heat some oil in a large skillet or wok and fry the tempeh until it is golden.

2.    Add the ginger and fry it off.

3.    Next add the carrots and capsicum and toss through for a few minutes.

4.    Add the eggplant, and sauces and mix through. If the mixture seems a bit dry and is sticking to the pan, add a little water.

5.    Cover the pan with a lid and let the vegetables cook for a few minutes.

6.    In the meantime, heat the wraps in the microwave. The wraps can be heated in the packet, just make sure to take out the little silicon pouch!

7.    Place the wraps on a plate, and fill with the stir fry mixture. Be careful not to be too greedy and overfill, otherwise you will end up with a big mess while eating!

8.    Wrap and eat!


The Mission Wraps are available at Woolworths and selected independent supermarkets for a RRP of $4.79. More information and other recipe ideas are available on the Mission Foods website.


Disclaimer: I received these products courtesy of Nuffnang and Mission Foods, however I was not paid for this post and all opinions are my own.

0 comments:

Post a Comment